Design Philosophy

I am a junior interior design major at Washington State University. I have always been interested in design. I enjoy creating abstract and organized spaces. Figuring out corrections to problems through design is a process I believe is fundamental. When I design I want to meet the needs of a client in a creative way. I like to find multiple solutions to a problem to hear opinions to consider a different approach. I think design should have meaning, and that is what I strive to tell in my designs.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Vision Disablility Ability Workshop Reflection

The first experience I had with vision impairment was to look through a plastic bag (Ziploc). This represents 20/60 vision, one can still legally drive during the day. I hope glasses would make seeing better because I could see nothing clearly, just the outline of shapes. I assume this vision is worse at night time since driving is only legal during the day. When I think of that I think of how the lighting in the CUB, where the experience took place, and how they dim the lights. This hinders visitors with vision disabilities. I tried to read the newspaper and I had to get really close to read the large title, but I could not make out anything else. This was helpful when thinking about signage in a design, and that it should be large so the majority of people can see it.


Then the Ziploc bag was folded in half, which represents legally blind vision. I could see nothing, but lighting being bright. I would like there to be more lighting contrasts in design for people who are legally blind because it was something I could identify.


I looked through a vision simulator tool, which represented vision loss like tunnel vision, loss of center vision, cloudy vision, and blind vision. Each of these were different experiences and made me think of the ADA guidelines pertaining to vision. I could not see much in my peripherals which explains why walls should not have protrusions.


Next, I wore sunglasses with petroleum jelly smeared on them to simulate vision impairment. I walked into the Bookie to find the elevation to the first floor. If I would not have previously known where the elevator was I would not have been able to follow the signs that said where it was located. I am not even sure there were signs to the elevator. While waiting for the elevator I noticed the down button was lit up which made it easy to access. While in the elevator the buttons were not lit up but did have contrasting colors of white and black. I think lights would be more beneficial. The buttons also had braille, which I cannot read, but that makes the keys understandable for someone who can read braille. I then went to the ATM machine on the first floor of the CUB and I noticed the card slot was lit up. But the keys for the pin were not and had a cover to block others vision from pin number input. This cover is not helpful because it blocks the light to the keys. There was a nub on the five key and I think that is universal to the five because it is always the center number. The enter and cancel buttons had an "o" and an "x". these were raised like the five nub. I was not sure what they were till I peeked out of the glasses though. This first floor ATM contrasts to the second floor ATM because the second floor has more vision and hearing cues. The second floor ATM had a light for the card slot, the keys were not blocked by the pin hiding lid, there was braille on all items of the machine, there was a head phone jack so someone who cannot see can hear what the machine is saying on the parts they cannot read. I then went to the Holland-Terrel Library to walk down the atrium stairs. These stairs were made of white terrazzo and had a black grip to contrast in texture and color. The atrium also provides lots of natural light which made the contrast even greater. These stairs contrast greatly with the ones in the CUB. The CUB has green and black terrazzo stairs with a black grip. The grip itself provides texture difference, but it visually blends into the terrazzo color. Plus the CUB stairwell is not lit brightly so the dark stair color and lighting do not make these stairs visually friendly.







I believe that the built environment should be accessible to any/everyone. If we design for the average that does not include everyone and that is not right. Just because some have disabilities does not mean they should not be thought about in design. Design qualities that are meant to be benefited by people with disabilities actually are beneficial for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment