Design Philosophy

I am a junior interior design major at Washington State University. I have always been interested in design. I enjoy creating abstract and organized spaces. Figuring out corrections to problems through design is a process I believe is fundamental. When I design I want to meet the needs of a client in a creative way. I like to find multiple solutions to a problem to hear opinions to consider a different approach. I think design should have meaning, and that is what I strive to tell in my designs.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

St. Ignatius Church Sketches

This is a church in Seattle, Washington that I was able to sketch. It was built by an architect that had the concept of St. Ignatius' writings. I do not know the writings of St. Ignatius, but I heard they had to do with light being God. The architecture of this church captures lighting in many different ways through windows and ceiling heights that create shadows. From these sketches I strengthen my sketching abilities, and I learned what can be done with lighting in a space.



This is an exterior view of the entrance into the church. The windows on the door let light into the structure at different angles.


This is a sketch of a wall that had a protruding wall coming out of it. This wall let light into the church through different size openings. My note says that their are 6 windows and the 7th is God, which is light. This has to do with one of the writings St. Ignatius wrote.


This is a view of the entry lobby of the church. Here the texture is seen on the walls which casts shadows because of all the light shined on them. All of the walls were curving and seemed to be connected as on and not different pieces put together. The texture on the wall makes the building look seamless.


This is a view from in the church and the ceiling heights are seen here. The different openings and how walls are lit from behind shows how God is shining into the church. As I sat in this church it was interesting to see how the lighting changed when the sun changed position.


Some of these figures I was not clear behind their meaning, but I am sure it is based on St. Ignatius. I thought that lots of the figures were organic in shape which was bringing in nature and light from outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment