Design Philosophy

I am a junior interior design major at Washington State University. I have always been interested in design. I enjoy creating abstract and organized spaces. Figuring out corrections to problems through design is a process I believe is fundamental. When I design I want to meet the needs of a client in a creative way. I like to find multiple solutions to a problem to hear opinions to consider a different approach. I think design should have meaning, and that is what I strive to tell in my designs.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Jim Olson Lecture 2011

Jim Olson is an architect in Seattle, Washington. His lecture was based on how he has been inspired throughout his life by nature and how he brings that inspiration into his architecture. He grew up working with his hands and wanted to do something that made him happy, so he chose architecture. He started out with his family cabin on the Puget Sound that had a window which framed Mount Rainer. This mountain is a symbol of accomplishment to him because his grandmother climbed it twice. This area of the Puget Sound is significant because Olson designed himself a cabin that he still goes to when he wants to relax. He showed a picture of a flower that you can see in the woods around his cabin. They are visible because they are light and contrast to the dark green tree backdrop. This is because flowers want to be noticed by bees so they will be pollinated. The flowers came back into his lecture when he talked about a painting that was hung in a home. The wall was dark and the painting was light. This made the painting become the focus on the wall like the flowers in the woods. He did a lot with windows that were almost invisible to people because the nature on the outside was so beautiful that it became apart of the design. He made a statement I enjoyed which was, "let the nature frame the home and the home frame the art". This is displayed in the architecture of the home with the large women statue. From many angles when looking into the home the nature is first what is noticed, then the home's architecture, and then the art figure is seen through windows. I was inspired by this mans passion for his career. I enjoy people in the design field who can be successful in their career and have a family. He was very good at explaining the concept and meaning behind his work. I think that design should always have meaning or else your design can not seem valid to everyone.

This link is to the Olson Kundig website for a photo of the house with the statue in it. http://www.olsonkundigarchitects.com/gallery_cache/2038/800_600/WSU-Postcard.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment