Design Philosophy

I am a junior interior design major at Washington State University. I have always been interested in design. I enjoy creating abstract and organized spaces. Figuring out corrections to problems through design is a process I believe is fundamental. When I design I want to meet the needs of a client in a creative way. I like to find multiple solutions to a problem to hear opinions to consider a different approach. I think design should have meaning, and that is what I strive to tell in my designs.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Color in Interiors Context Poster


I made this poster with the help of my partner, Green Yang. To understand how to choose color for interiors it is essential to understand the basics of color theory. When choosing colors I found that it is not about picking one you like, it is about how that color will be affected by the surrounding colors. The colors of interiors should not be the last thing thought about for a design. It should be just as important as the rest of the design process, because colors have meanings to humans that need to be considered. We used two different case studies to show how color was used in interiors. The Cape Vacation Home uses an analogous color scheme of lighter greens and blues. These colors were to bring the outside in and create a relaxing atmosphere for vacationing. The Comic Book Studio has very saturated hues of red-orange and blue which show the energetic personality of the owner. The blue helps calm the high energy orange down because they are almost complimentary colors. I like the layout of this poster because it leads the eye from the first headline, to the second, and so on in a nice fashion. I also like how there is not a lot of white space. We tried to utilize all the space we could. If I could have done something different I think I would have less blue lines throughout the poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment