Design Philosophy

I am a junior interior design major at Washington State University. I have always been interested in design. I enjoy creating abstract and organized spaces. Figuring out corrections to problems through design is a process I believe is fundamental. When I design I want to meet the needs of a client in a creative way. I like to find multiple solutions to a problem to hear opinions to consider a different approach. I think design should have meaning, and that is what I strive to tell in my designs.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Common Reading Lecture by Michael P Woleott: WSU Sustainable Design and Engineer Professor

This speaker talked how he got interested in being an engineer. He was fascinated with outdoor natural beauty and how the energy crisis needed to be solved. A graph he showed was about how when we have war it is usually been over energy sources. He explained that energy is what makes us move forward, without it we do not. Another graph he showed was that to keep using as much energy as we do now will not always be an option. We will have to cut back at least 70% to sustain ourselves for the future because the population is constantly growing. Then he went into defining sustainability and how it is an economic, social, and environmental issue. He is teaching sustainability through actual problems to be solved by his students. I think that this is a great concept to teach sustainability because it has not always been around and needs to be for the future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment